Frequently Asked Questions
Find out why more than 23,000 New Zealanders have already attended a FamilyLife NZ event
Frequently Asked Questions
Pre-Married and Singles
A word to the wise:
If you’re preparing for marriage, or you’re single and want to get a good clear insight into what makes a good marriage work, then a FamilyLife NZ event could be a great place to start:
Option 1: Attend a Weekend to Remember.
Receive a comprehensive manual complete with specific pre-married projects
Option 2: Attend a Day Together seminar as a couple or as a single. Listen, Laugh, Learn. Enjoy a fun day soaking in the top key principles to effective relationships presented in the following six live messages by our well-trained speakers:
- Why relationship fail
- How to grow together
- How to fight fair
- Keeping the spark of sex alive
- Take your relationship to a whole new level
Weekend to Remember is designed with you in mind. So we’ve set aside Saturday night as Date Night! Make it a memorable evening for you both. After a day of instruction and encouragement, you’ll be inspired to focus on one another and take your relationship to even greater heights.
Make the Date Night the highlight of your weekend by spending meaningful time together and reclaiming the love and intimacy that is often obscured through the activities of daily living. Make it special. Make it romantic. Rekindle the fire over a candlelight dinner—reserve a romantic table for two. Surprise your spouse with a special gift that you have tucked away in your suitcase. Or simply, hang the “do not disturb” sign outside your door.
Whether you “go out on the town” or just order room service and relax, Weekend to Remember will be the most meaningful when you experience it completely. Remove all the distractions. Entrust your children to others. Turn off the cell phone and pager. Don’t check your email. Forget about the television. And, if attending with friends, make sure to reserve this evening just to spend this time together as a couple.
What if I've been before?
If you have already attended a FamilyLife “Weekend to Remember” Getaway, then we encourage you to come back and experience it all over again. Couples who have returned have said they’ve enjoyed the conference even more the second time around. Some have attended six times!
We also offer fantastic studies you can do in the comfort of your own home to strengthen and further build your marriage, or you can do them with friends to help them too. Find out more about Marriage Mentoring and HomeBuilders.
Tips for Attendees
Here are a few tips to help make your FamilyLife getaway truly a “Weekend to Remember”.
- FamilyLife events are casual in nature. Dress comfortably. Maybe bring a sweater or jacket as temperatures may vary.
- FamilyLife will provide you with manuals and pens for the weekend.
- If possible, arrive early on Friday to wind down from the pace of life. Registration opens at 6.00pm on Friday, the Conference begins at 7:00pm
- The FamilyLife NZ getaway will be most effective to you if you carve it completely out of your regular life schedule. Whether you stay in the hotel or commute, agree together to remove distractions. Entrust your kids to those watching them; stay away from squeezing in other appointments; unplug the phone; keep the TV off; and if attending with other friends, make sure to save most of your times for you as a couple.
- Your evening meal on Saturday is not included in the registration costs. We have set aside this evening as a special “date night” for you and your spouse. Make plans for a special evening and splurge to the extent you can!
- Please let us know whether you have any special comfort needs or dietary requirements. We will do all we can to make it an enjoyable experience.
- FamilyLife NZ will have a comprehensive range of life-changing resources available for purchase throughout the weekend. Save money by purchasing these resources at the Conference.
- Plan a date night soon after the Conference to help yourselves set a plan of action on how you will apply the principles you learned over the weekend, and transition it to everyday life.
What if our plans change and we can’t make it?
Should special circumstances force you to miss the conference, you may transfer your booking to a future conference as long as 48 hours prior notice is given.
Should you be forced to cancel, upon written request, consideration will be given to refund your registration fee, less $20.00 for administration costs.
Is this a religious event?
This is a marriage conference based on timeless Biblical principles that will inspire, equip, and motivate any couple to grow together whether they attend church or not.
Do we have to share details of our marriage with others?
No. Not in any way. The only person you’ll be asked to share with is the person you attend with – your partner.. One of the reasons there is no planned group interaction is to preserve the intimate environment for the two of you for the entire weekend. We strive to make your experience as non-threatening as possible.
Is there provision for childcare during the weekend?
Sorry, no. Children are indeed special, and we at FamilyLife NZ care as much about New Zealand’s youth as anyone. However, this weekend is designed as a special getaway for the two of you. Many people have shared that this conference has been a highlight as they enjoyed time together with no children – you are encouraged to plan well in advance.
Is it essential to stay in the conference hotel?
No, in fact many couples commute, or stay elsewhere. Of course the ultimate getaway experience is to stay overnight at the conference hotel, and FamilyLife NZ negotiates special discounted room rates to help make the experience affordable. Couples have told us, “Please stress the benefits of living in, because it really makes the conference special.” However, we recognise that not everyone can afford it, so don’t want to put extra pressure on.